- 1 LB ground dark meat turkey
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (or your favorite gluten free variety)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (use what you have – we used thyme, Italian flat-leaf parsley + mint)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 12 large Bibb lettuce leaves
- 8 TBS tzatziki (we love Cava brand)
- Optional: Israeli Couscous
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. While oven warms, in a large bowl combine first 10 ingredients (through EVOO) using your hands (if you have gloves, now is the time to use them). Spray cooking spray on a cookie sheet lined with tinfoil. Form meat mixture into 1 1/2″ meatballs (we were able to make 14 meatballs). Cook in oven for approximately 25 minutes (should register 165 degrees inside meatball, but you can see if they are done by cutting one in half). Remove from oven and squeeze one whole lemon on top of meatballs.
While meatballs cook, wash and dry lettuce leaves and quarter lemons.
If you are making Isreali couscous (for those who need more on their plate), cook according to package directions and add salt and EVOO to taste). Remove from heat and keep covered until meatballs are done.
To plate: 3 lettuce leaves, 3 meatballs, a 2 TBS dollop of tzatziki. (If you are using the couscous, you can place on top of lettuce cups and put meatballs on top.) Put remaining lemon wedges on plates. Tear some leftover herbs over plates.
Total hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
Nutrition per serving (without couscous): Calories: 397 / Total Fat: 27.6g / Saturated Fat: 7.3g / Trans Fat: 0 / Total Carbs: 13.1g / Protein: 24.9g / Sodium: 190.7mg / Dietary Fiber: 0.6g / Sugar: 2.6g