- 1 LB 90% lean ground beef (we used grass-fed beef, but you can sub ground turkey, chicken or Beyond Meat for less calories + fat)
- 1 LB hearts of romaine (we used 2 packages of Organic Girl – already triple washed)
- 1 cup black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (look for organic canned corn or frozen organic + thaw)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 TBS chipotle pepper adobo sauce (we used Frontera brand but if you can’t find it, buy a can of chipotles in adobo and run through your blender very quickly to make a sauce)
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced (tip: do this with a fork + knife, don’t use your hands)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges (we found 4 small heirlooms that were ripe)
- 2 limes, halved
- 5 TBS Cotija cheese, shredded (or you can shred a block of cheddar, preferably organic)
- 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 10 TBS light sour cream (a little over 1/2 cup)
- 1 TBS taco seasoning (we used Penzeys Spices Original Taco Seasoning)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped (reserve rest for garnish)
- 15 organic corn tortilla chips (we used Late July brand)
- 1 large avocado (optional)
Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add 1/2 diced red onion to pan (reserving rest) and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add ground beef, break up using a wooden spoon or spatula and sprinkle in taco seasoning. Brown meat until thoroughly cooked through ~ 5 minutes. Add black beans + corn, stir to combine. Remove from heat and cover to stay warm while assembling salad.
Prepare dressing in a small bowl: add agave nectar or honey, squeeze in lime juice, slowly drizzle + whisk in 2 TBS EVOO. Add 2 TBS reserved chopped red onion, 4 TBS chopped cilantro and season with salt + pepper to taste.
Put romaine in a large bowl and slowly drizzle in dressing, use tongs to coat each leaf (salad should be very lightly dressed).
Prepare chipotle crema: combine sour cream with 2 TBS chipotle adobo sauce, mix well. (Taste it – if you want more heat, add more chipotle sauce.)
To plate: 1/5 romaine leaves, 1/5 meat, 1 TBS cheese, 2 TBS chipotle crema, sliced jalapeno, avocado (if you are using) + crumble 3 tortilla chips on top and garnish with more fresh cilantro.
Note: great with Tabasco Chipotle Pepper sauce on top! If you need more calories, add avocado, more cheese or crumbled tortilla chips.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Nutrition per serving (without avocado): Calories: 437 / Total Fat: 24.1g / Saturated Fat: 6.2g / Cholesterol: 68mg / Total Carbs: 29.6g / Protein: 25.1g / Dietary Fiber: 7.4g / Sugar: 9.1g