- 1 LB boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 – 8oz bags Frontera red chile enchilada sauce (or 16oz of your favorite enchilada sauce)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 14 original size tortillas (we like LaTortilla Factory low carb whole wheat but use any medium sized tortillas you prefer)
- 1/2 can black beans, drained + rinsed (reserve other half for eggs or salads later in week)
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese (we buy an organic block + grate it)
- 7 TBS light sour cream
- 2 small avocados, quartered + sliced right before serving
- fresh cilantro, torn for garnish
Put one package (approximately 1 LB) of boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with 8 oz of enchilada sauce (reserving other 8 oz) and enough chicken stock or broth to just cover chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours. When done, shred with 2 forks in slow cooker, mix well and remove with tongs into a bowl (discarding excess liquid) and cover with tinfoil. (If you can, shred the chicken with an hour left to cook, mix well and let it cook the last hour shredded – incorporates the flavors more.)
Shred cheese now if you need to, and drain + rinse black beans in a colander.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray bottom of large baking dish with cooking spray. Microwave tortillas for 40 seconds between 2 paper towels to make pliable.
Fill each tortilla with a little shredded chicken and roll tightly, placing in baking dish, seam-side down. Repeat until baking dish is full. Top enchiladas with black beans and then the remaining 8 oz of enchilada sauce, covering all tortillas. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered.
To plate: 2 enchiladas, 1/4 of an avocado, 1 TBS sour cream + freshly torn cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 420 / Total Fat: 20.4g / Saturated Fat: 4.1g / Total Carbs: 50.7g / Protein: 35.6g / Sodium: 1,390mg / Dietary Fiber: 31.9g / Sugar: 5.6g