- 1 1/2 LBS peeled + deveined shrimp, tails removed, rinsed + patted dry
- 2 cups dry quinoa (we used sprouted quinoa but prefer rainbow quinoa in this dish)
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely diced raw veggies (we used red bell pepper + zucchini)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 TBS fresh basil, chopped + more for garnish
- low-sodium chicken or veggie broth/stock (amount called for on quinoa packaging)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Rinse quinoa in a colander and cook according to package directions in chicken or veggie broth. Season with salt + pepper to taste. Once done, remove from heat and keep covered.
While quinoa cooks, dice veggies and garlic.
Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat 1 TBS EVOO over medium high heat. Add scallions and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Add shrimp, season with salt + pepper to tasted and saute 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and squeeze in the juice from 1/2 lemon (reserving rind) + 2 TBS basil and let rest.
While shrimp is cooking, toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan constantly so pine nuts don’t burn (pine nuts burn very easily so don’t turn your back on them). Remove from heat as soon as they get lightly toasted.
Add diced raw veggies to quinoa along with juice from other 1/2 lemon (reserving rind) and remaining 2 TBS basil. Grate the zest of the reserved lemon rind into the quinoa. Fluff to combine with a fork. Do a taste test and add salt + pepper if needed.
To plate: 2/3 cup quinoa, 1/4 of the shrimp, 1/4 of the pine nuts + top with freshly torn basil.
Note: if you have picky eaters who are not fond of quinoa, Israeli couscous, simply seasoned with salt + pepper and EVOO, is amazing with this! Steamed broccoli or spinach on the side would be a great addition for more veggies.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 380 / Total Fat: 12.9g / Saturated Fat: 1.4g / Cholesterol: 247.5mg / Total Carbs: 35g / Protein: 30.6g / Sodium: 1,043.2 / Dietary Fiber 4.5g / Sugar: 1.4g