- 1 LBS Italian chicken sausage (bulk, we used Whole Foods 365 brand)
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled + finely diced
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix (sold at most grocers), rinsed in a colander
- 2 bay leaves
- 9 cups chicken broth or stock (use low sodium if you need to reduce sodium in recipe)
- 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken base
- 1 small container organic baby spinach
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 TBS fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (chopped)
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat 1 TBS EVOO over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until thoroughly browned, approximately 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pot and set aside in a bowl.
Reduce heat to medium and 1 TBS EVOO, celery, onion + carrots to same pot. Season with salt + pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add Vegi Soup Mix, bay leaves, chicken broth/stock, Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken base and cooked sausage back to pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling bring to a simmer, uncovered, for an hour (add more chicken broth or water if soup gets too thick while cooking).
Remove from heat and remove 2 bay leaves. Stir in container of baby spinach and fresh parsley.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total cooking time: 80 minutes
Nutrition per serving (8 large servings) : Calories: 405 calories / Total Fat: 7.5g / Saturated Fat: 0.8g / Cholesterol: 48.8mg / Protein: 28.7g / Total Carbs: 59.2g / Sodium: 1,719.3mg / Dietary Fiber: 20.7g / Sugar: 3.7g