- 4 cups baby romaine, pre-washed
- 4 cups baby arugula, pre-washed
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 LBS fresh French green beans a.k.a. hericots verts (I buy them packaged, already trimmed & cleaned to save time, from Whole Foods – Southern Selects brand)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large heirloom tomato (or the most ripe tomato you can find), cut into wedges
- 8 oz prosciutto di parma, sliced
- 2 TBS capers
- 1 tsp basil oil (sold near olive oil in most stores)
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- fresh basil (optional)
Add eggs to small pot, cover with cold water & bring to a boil. Boil for 8 minutes. Drain & run under cold water. Once cool enough to handle, peel eggs & halve lengthwise. Set aside.
While eggs boil, boil beans for 2 minutes. Drain & run under cold water, then put in an ice bath (bowl on the side with cold water & several ice cubes) to stop the cooking process + maintain bright green color.
In a small bowl, add rice or red wine vinegar & basil oil, stir to combine. Drizzle in EVOO very (painfully) slowly, stirring constantly with a whisk, to emulsify (or else the oil & vinegar will separate = not good). Add a splash (~1 tsp) of cold water, season with salt + pepper and mix well to combine. Drizzle dressing over greens slowly, using tongs to combine. You don’t want to overdress – you can always add but you can’t take away! There should be enough to coat every leaf but should not be soggy.
I served this family style, but to plate individually (to keep calories in check), each plate or bowl should have 2 cups greens, 2 oz prosciutto, 1/4 of the sliced onion, 1/4 of the green beans, 1 egg (2 halves), 1/4 tomato & 1/2 TBS capers. If you have fresh basil, tear a leaf or two on top of each salad. If you are feeling fancy like I was, roll each slice of prosciutto into a rosette (as pictured).
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 371 / Total Fat: 23.7g / Saturated Fat: 6.1g / Cholesterol: 225mg / Protein: 26.8g / Sodium: 1,240.1mg / Total Carbs: 14.9g / Dietary Fiber: 7.2g / Sugar: 6.2g