- 2 cups dried red lentils, thoroughly rinsed, carefully picking out any debris (you can occasionally find tiny stones!)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 – 14 oz can crushed tomatoes (I prefer San Marzano variety)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon reduced sodium chicken base (or vegetable base)
- 2 tsp ghee (for dairy free, use 2 more tsp EVOO)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground smoked paprika
Add 5 dried spices together in a small dish.
In a Dutch oven (or large pot), heat EVOO & ghee over medium heat. Add onion & saute ~ 7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in spices, season with salt & pepper to taste & stir. Once fragrant, add lentils, chicken or veggie stock, crushed tomatoes + Better Than Bouillon. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Add the juice from one lemon. Quickly blend soup with a hand-held immersion blender so some but not all lentils are smooth (you still want texture). If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove a cup of the soup & blend until smooth in a blender then add it back to soup. (Do a taste test to see if more salt is needed.) Add torn cilantro to each bowl just before serving.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 376 / Total Fat: 5.6g / Saturated Fat: 1.4g / Cholesterol: 0mg / Protein: 22.7g / Sodium: 264.3mg / Total Carbs: 58.7g / Dietary Fiber: 24g / Sugar: 5.3g