- 2 LBS shrimp (we LOVE Trader Joe’s frozen Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp – $9.99 / LB – if you buy frozen, put in fridge the night before to defrost or run under cold water in a colander, then pat dry)
- 1 can Cuban black beans (again, Trader Joe’s sells a great one)
- 1 cup dry organic Jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 1 pouch Frontera Foods Key Lime Shrimp Taco skillet sauce (sold at most grocers)
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1 lime
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed & minced (optional)
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- fresh cilantro
Cook rice according to package directions & remove from heat (approximately 30 minutes). Fluff with fork just prior to serving.
While rice cooks, prepare avocado crema. In a blender or mini-prep, add avocado, yogurt, juice from one lime, half the scallions (reserving the other half for garnishing), salt + pepper to taste and a few TBS fresh cilantro. Pulse for a few seconds then taste with a spoon to see if more salt is needed.
Heat EVOO in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season shrimp with salt + pepper and once pan is really hot, add shrimp to skillet (if using jalapeno, add it now). Saute for approximately 4 minutes until opaque, stirring frequently. Stir in skillet sauce and heat for one minute, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
To plate: add 1/2 cup of rice to each bowl, top with 8 oz shrimp, 1/4 cup beans & 2 TBS avocado crema. Sprinkle remaining scallions over bowls and tear fresh cilantro on top.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 388 / Total Fat: 6.6g / Saturated Fat: 0.5g / Cholesterol: 290.4mg / Protein: 37g / Total Carbs: 42g / Sodium: 1,032.7mg / Dietary Fiber: 7.1g / Sugar: 6.5g