- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, skin removed, pulled into bite size pieces
- 1 package chicken (used for stock, so any combo works – breasts and/or thighs )
- 8 oz noodles (we used angel hair broken in thirds, but you can use any kind)
- 3 – 32 oz cartons of low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion – half chopped and the other half quartered
- 2 celery stalks with leaves (chopped, separate leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- salt + fresh ground pepper
In a large skillet, add the package of chicken, then add 1/2 quartered onion, 1 garlic clove, peppercorn, bay leaf, 1/2 of the thyme and 1/4 of the flat leaf parsley – just loosely placed around chicken. Add one carton of chicken broth (32 oz) to skillet. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, while you prepare rest of soup.
In a large pot, drizzle in EVOO and melt butter over medium heat. Add diced carrots, remaining 1/2 diced onion, diced celery (reserving chopped celery leaves), the leaves from 5 springs of thyme, salt + freshly ground pepper to taste. Saute stirring frequently until onions are translucent and carrots are tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add remaining 2 cartons of chicken broth (64 oz) and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook according to pasta directions for al dente (don’t overcook). Once done remove from heat and cover.
Place a strainer over a large bowl. Using tongs, remove the chicken from saute pan and discard. Carefully strain the herbs and veggies from the broth through strainer, reserving the broth in the bowl. Discard strainer contents. Add broth in bowl to soup pot. Add pulled rotisserie chicken to soup pot and stir to combine. Taste with a spoon and add more salt if needed. Stir in reserved celery leaves and 4 TBS chopped parsley.
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total cooking time: 25 minutes
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 274 / Total Fat: 7.6g / Saturated Fat: 1.2g / Trans Fat: 0 / Total Carbs: 28.2g / Protein: 24.7g / Sodium: 224.8mg / Dietary Fiber: 1.9g / Sugar: 3.6g