- 4 oz thick diced pancetta (vegetarians, sub with your favorite mushrooms – shitake or chantarelle would be amazing)
- 1 LB bag of hericot verts (French green beans – often sold trimmed + pre-washed)
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise + sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 TBS Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped + more for garnish
Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add pancetta and stir often until almost all fat is rendered (if you are vegetarian, saute mushrooms in 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil and season with salt + pepper). Add sliced leek to pan with pancetta and while sauteing, scrape flavor morsels off bottom of pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate flavor.
Once leeks are very wilted, add 1 TBS EVOO, reduce heat to medium low and add garlic, stir constantly to make sure it does not burn. After a couple of minutes, remove from heat and stir in chopped parsley and the juice of 1/2 lemon (reserving rind). Let rest in pan off heat.
Put beans in a pot and fill with cold water covering beans. Bring to a boil and boil for 4-5 minutes. Drain in a colander, place on a serving dish and top with pancetta. Top with more freshly torn parsley and fresh lemon zest from the reserved lemon rind.
Note: if you are doing the vegetarian version, it would be nice to toast 4 TBS of pine nuts to add on top to give it added texture.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 85 / Total Fat: 5.2g / Saturated Fat: 1.5g / Cholesterol: 10mg / Protein: 3.7g / Total Carbs: 5.6g / Sodium: 119.8mg / Dietary Fiber: 2.9g / Sugar: 1.8g