- 3 1/2 LB butterflied, boneless leg of lamb
- 2 lemons, halved
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- fresh herbs (any combination of what you have – we used 12 sprigs thyme, 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley and 5 basil leaves)
- 2 TBS fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 bag of shelled fresh peas
- 1 head of fresh asparagus, remove + discard tough bottom third of stalks + cut the tips into 1″ pieces and then slice the rest of the stalk, to almost the size of the peas
- tzatziki (we used Cava brand – our fave – but Costco sells tzatziki as well)
- kitchen twine
In a large baking dish, lay lamb flat and using a small paring knife, remove any remaining fat. Season both sides with salt + pepper.
In a blender, combine EVOO, juice from 2 lemons, oregano, garlic and a bunch of fresh herbs (discard tough stems). Add salt + pepper. Blend until completely smooth.
Generously rub both sides of lamb with mixture, reserving 1/8 cup. Let lamb rest on counter for one hour to marinade.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Once lamb has rested for one hour, drizzle some of the remaining marinade in the middle of the lamb. Starting at one end, roll lamb up like a jelly roll. Use kitchen twine to secure roast (you can look online how to do this, very easy). Transfer to a clean roasting pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray (discard excess marinade in first baking dish.)
Roast lamb for one hour uncovered. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
While lamb rests, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add peas and asparagus and return to a boil for 2-3 minutes (no more or they will be mushy). Drain and season with salt and 2 TBS fresh mint, stir to combine.
To plate: split veggies evenly among plates, add 4 oz thinly sliced lamb, 2 TBS dollop of tzatziki and drizzle some of the juice that accumulated on bottom of roasting pan on top of meat.
Hands-on cooking time: 30 minutes
Inactive cooking time: 2 hours
Total cooking time: 2 1/2 hours
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 366 / Total Fat: 23.6g / Saturated Fat: 10.3g / Trans Fat: 0 / Total Carbs: 14g / Protein: 31.4g / Sodium: 413.3mg / Dietary Fiber: 2.4g / Sugar: 3.1g