- 2 containers prepared butternut squash noodles (2 cups per person – see note below)
- 1 LB ground mild Italian chicken sausage (I used Whole Foods brand)
- 1 small container of organic baby spinach
- 2 cups Trader Joe’s Autumnal Harvest Creamy Pasta Sauce (or similar)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ground garlic powder + ground onion powder
- grated Parmesan
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray & heat over medium high heat. Add 1 TBS of EVOO to pan and swirl to coat. Once pan is hot, add 1 LB ground mild Italian sausage to pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon. While browning, season meat with a little (or a lot!) garlic powder + onion powder (it is already seasoned, I just like to add extra flavor). Once meat is browned, add 2 cups of pasta sauce (I like this Trader Joe’s brand because it has fall flavors + added veggie nutrients with pumpkin and butternut squash), scraping flavor morsels from bottom of pan, working into sauce. Add butternut squash noodles to pan, stir well to combine and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Microwave spinach in a microwavable-safe dish for approximately 1 minute until lightly wilted. Add to pan. To plate, add approximately 2 cups per serving + top with 2 TBS grated Parmesan.
Note: I cooked orecchiette pasta on the side for my family, so they got less squash & more pasta, because of this, I added only 1 container of butternut squash noodles to the pan.
Hands-on cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 408 / Total Fat: 13.2g / Saturated Fat: 2.3g / Cholesterol: 109mg / Protein: 29.8g / Sodium: 1,154 mg / Total Carbs: 46.5g / Dietary Fiber: 9g / Sugar: 15g